This has been my first full year as Teaching and Learning Coordinator, leading the CPD of 120 teachers in our Upper School, and coordinating with my counterparts in Lower School and Early Years. Some of the highlights of this role have been:
- Organising my first external INSET, which was hugely successful and reinvigorated the staff after a few years without such sessions.
- Setting up a T&L blog to share ideas and reblog interesting posts from around the edu-world. I have largely used this to disseminate reviews of articles and research I have been reading (see below for more on this), but also started to use it to share classroom ideas. I have plans for next year to encourage more staff to write blogs to share with the whole staff body.
- Restructuring our Collaborative Projects system so that staff chose to work in one of 12 groups focused on a specific area of pedagogy, and giving them a fixed meeting time for this. Next year this is going to be further developed with dedicated cross-curricular project meetings once a month and dedicated departmental T&L meetings once a month as well. So there will be a dedicated T&L time for all staff once a fortnight, and most importantly dedicated time for departments to discuss subject specific pedagogy. In the long run I aim to have a session once a week, along a similar line to this post by Harry Fletcher-Wood.
- Running a very successful Collaborative Project Fair, where each of the collaborative project groups ran a "stall" to show what they had achieved throughout the year in their group.
- I have bought a large number of educational books, and set up a T&L Library in our staffroom, alongside a noticeboard, mainly with images from the excellent Oliver Caviglioli (I have even tried making a few of my own!).
My main site has taken a bit of a back seat this year as I released my new mixed topic generators, where you can create questions to project or print on (at time of publishing) 49 different topics. I have also created a class website which is still very much under construction, but will provide links to videos, as well as all class materials (including pdfs of SMART board files), for my IGCSE and IB classes.
It has been a good year (on the whole) personally too. In January we went to Japan for a month's holiday, which was amazing, and ticked off the fourth Disney park from our list (California, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo done, just Hong Kong and Shanghai to go)! In March, my wife and I celebrated being together for 10 years, and in August we had our fourth wedding anniversary. In July I became a Godfather for the first time, and then in November I became a father! Since then my whole life has changed, and I am very grateful to be in the southern hemisphere so I get to spend 2 whole months at home with my son when he is so young.